I Thought I Was Ready for Middle School the First Time. I Wasn’t. Here’s What I’m Doing Differently Now.


Photo by Thomas Park on Unsplash


The first time my daughter started middle school, I did what I thought I was supposed to do.


We bought the list. New backpack, fresh supplies, a planner she promised she’d use. I felt prepared.


And then within about two weeks, everything started slipping.


Assignments weren’t written down. Papers disappeared. Projects showed up the night before they were due. I kept thinking: we have everything… so why does this feel so chaotic?


Now my younger daughter is about to start middle school, and I’m doing it differently—based on what actually matters once they walk into that building.

This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to purchase through these links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only recommend items I personally have or would buy.



🔥 If You Just Want the Short List (What Actually Works)

(These are the things I’m buying/setting up before day one)

  • A large, multi-compartment backpack such as this North Face one which is trending right now
  • A large, robust, practical, but still on-trend water bottle such as these by Owala
  • A simple homework planner that actually gets used (see mine here)
  • Zipper pouches for backpack organization such as these 
  • A basic locker shelf + magnetic organizer such as this
  • One confidence-building book for middle schoolers such as this

Photo by Matt Ragland on Unsplash



What I Got Wrong the First Time

I thought buying the supplies meant we were prepared
We had everything—and still felt disorganized within weeks.

I assumed she would use the planner that her school gave to her
She didn’t. Not consistently. And no one checked it.

I underestimated how much independence was required
Middle school expects a level of organization most kids haven’t practiced yet.

I didn’t have a system—just good intentions
And that’s the part that didn’t hold up.





What I Have Learnt 

(and will be applying this time around)


☑️ The Systems to Set Up Before Day One

This is the biggest shift.

  • A simple, no-friction homework planner (I made one here because the others were too complicated
  • A weekly reset routine (clean out backpack, check assignments)
  • A color-coded folder system

If your child struggles with homework at all, I go into more detail in my blog post here.


And this is the exact setup that helped reduce stress in our house.



🎒 The Backpack Matters More Than I Realized

The first time, I let her pick based on looks. It didn’t hold up.


This time, I’m prioritizing function and style.


What actually matters:

  • Multiple compartments (not optional)
  • Structure so papers don’t fold
  • Comfortable straps (they carry a lot)
  • A water bottle pocket that works

Good options:


Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash


📚  Navigating Middle School is Social Dynamics is No Joke

Middle school isn’t just logistical—it’s social and emotional. Having a few good books helps them process what’s going on. I didn’t do this the first time, and I wish I had.


I pulled together a full list in my blogpost here:

A few that stand out:


❤️ What Matters More Than Supplies 

Instead of figuring it out mid-crisis, these are the things I am doing and teaching up front this time:

  • Practicing opening lockers
  • How to pack her backpack at night
  • How to estimate time realistically
  • Walking through schedules
  • How to check for missing assignments
  • How to email a teacher
  • Talking through “what if” scenarios
  • What to do when she’s stuck
  • How to normalize nerves


✨ A Few Things That Make Life Easier (That No One Lists)


👕 Getting Dressed Is Half the Battle

This matters more than I expected.


Having a few go-to outfits that feel comfortable and “right” socially reduces stress in the morning.


Think:

  • Wide-leg jeans + basic tee
  • Athleisure sets
  • Oversized hoodies

(Comfort + confidence > trends that don’t feel wearable)



💰 What I’m Willing to Spend On (And What I’m Not)

Worth it:

  • Backpack that’s good quality and they actually like
  • Sneakers that work for walking to school and PE
  • A simple, usable homework planner
  • A few key clothing pieces that can be kept on rotation 

Not worth it:

  • Excess supplies
  • Complicated systems
  • Trendy items that won’t last





What I’m Doing Differently This Time

  • Keeping systems simple
  • Setting things up before school starts
  • Checking in consistently—but not taking over

Middle school still won’t be perfectly organized.


But it will feel a lot more manageable this time.


Photo by Quilia on Unsplash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soccer Season with Tweens: Survival Guide, Carpool Hacks & What You Actually Need

Easter Basket Ideas for Tween Girls (That Aren’t Babyish)

Washington DC With Tweens: Why It’s Even Better Now