I Stopped Dressing for My Fantasy Life (And Everything Got Easier)

 

Photo by Azat Satlykov on Unsplash

Real-life mom outfits that actually work (and the clothes I stopped buying)

At some point—somewhere between buying my third “aspirational” blouse and realizing I hadn’t worn real pants in three days—I had a small, quiet epiphany:

I wasn’t dressing for my life.

I was dressing for a version of my life that exists only in my head.
A life where I glide into coffee shops in structured denim, wear dry-clean-only tops without consequence, and never once have to crouch, sprint, spill, or sit on the floor.

That life is…not my life.

My life is school runs, errands, long days on my feet, and asking “why is this sticky?” more often than feels reasonable.

And once I started dressing for that life?

Everything got easier.

I got dressed faster. I stopped second-guessing. I actually wore what I owned.

Here’s exactly what changed—and the real-life mom outfits that replaced the ones that never worked.


The “Flattering Jeans” Fantasy vs. Wide-Leg Jeans That Actually Work

Fantasy Me:
Wears rigid, “hold-you-in” jeans that look great standing still and require a strategic exhale to function.

Real Life Me:
Needs jeans I can sit, bend, walk, and live in.

So yes—wide-leg jeans.

They’re trending, but more importantly, they solve actual problems:

  • I can move
  • I can sit comfortably
  • I’m not adjusting them all day

Turns out, the most flattering thing isn’t structure—it’s ease.

Real-life outfit: wide-leg jeans + simple tee + sneakers + one intentional layer


The Sale Top I Bought… and Never Wore

Fantasy Me:
“It’s on sale. I’ll make it work.”

Real Life Me:
Has worn it exactly zero times.

Because:

  • the neckline is slightly off
  • the fabric is annoying
  • it doesn’t go with anything I actually wear

Now I have a rule:

If I wouldn’t buy it at full price, I don’t buy it at all.

This one shift has quietly fixed a lot of bad decisions.


The “I’ll Fit Into This” Wardrobe Category

Fantasy Me:
Keeps (and buys) clothes for a future version of her body.

Real Life Me:
Either:

  • never wears them
  • or wears them and feels uncomfortable all day

And nothing ruins an outfit faster than feeling slightly off in your own clothes.

I stopped buying for a future body and started dressing the one I have now.

It’s a small shift that makes getting dressed dramatically easier.


Photo by Javier Contreras on Unsplash

The Outfit That Only Works If You Don’t Move

Fantasy Me:
Tries something on, stands in front of the mirror, and thinks: perfect.

Real Life Me:
Sits down. Bends over. Reaches for something.

…and the outfit immediately stops working.

  • tops ride up
  • jeans pull
  • proportions fall apart

If I can’t move in it, it’s not a good outfit.

Real-life test: if I can’t sit on the floor or reach overhead comfortably, it doesn’t stay.


The Dry Clean Only Version of Me

Fantasy Me:
Owns delicate, high-maintenance pieces and calmly takes them to the dry cleaner.

Real Life Me:
Has a laundry system that is…efficient, not aspirational.

If something requires special care, I ask one question:

Will I actually maintain this?

If the answer is no, it’s not coming home.

Real-life mom wardrobe rule: machine-washable wins.


Photo by Ali Pazani on Unsplash

The Influencer Outfit vs. My Actual Day

Fantasy Me:
Sees a beautifully styled outfit and wants the exact look.

Real Life Me:
Has a day that includes:

  • movement
  • unpredictability
  • logistics
  • snacks (non-negotiable)

Some outfits are designed to be seen.
Mine need to be lived in.

That gap matters more than I used to think.


The Shoes That Look Good but Fail by Noon

Fantasy Me:
Buys “cute” shoes and assumes the rest will work itself out.

Real Life Me:
Walks. Stands. Moves. A lot.

If I’m thinking about my feet all day, the outfit is already a failure.

Now my baseline is:

  • comfortable
  • wearable all day
  • still feels like me

Because practical doesn’t have to mean boring—but uncomfortable always becomes unwearable.


The Outfit That Needs Managing All Day

Fantasy Me:
Is fine with a slightly fussy outfit.

Real Life Me:
Will resent that outfit by mid-morning.

If I have to:

  • retuck
  • adjust straps
  • fix layers
  • rethink proportions

…it’s not a good outfit.

I need clothes that just work—quietly, consistently, without effort.


The “This Is So Trendy Right Now” Trap

Fantasy Me:
“This is everywhere—I need it.”

Real Life Me:
Wears a small number of things on repeat.

If something only works for a very specific trend moment, it rarely fits into my actual wardrobe long-term.

Now I ask:

Will I want to wear this on a random Tuesday?

If not, it’s a no.


Photo by Look Studio on Unsplash



What Actually Changed (and Why It Works)

When I stopped dressing for my fantasy life, I didn’t become less stylish.

I became more honest.

I started asking:

  • Can I move in this?
  • Can I wear this all day?
  • Does this fit my real routine?
  • Will I actually reach for this?

And if the answer is no, it doesn’t come home with me.

The result is a wardrobe full of real-life outfits that work—not just outfits that look good in theory.

And getting dressed?

It’s faster. Easier. Better.

Which, at this stage of life, feels like a win worth keeping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soccer Season with Tweens: Survival Guide, Carpool Hacks & What You Actually Need

Easter Basket Ideas for Tween Girls (That Aren’t Babyish)

Washington DC With Tweens: Why It’s Even Better Now