When Your Tween Calls You “Bruh” or “Bro”

Photo by Timur Shakerzianov on Unsplash

In my house, it’s bruh.

The first time my tween said it, I froze. I remember stopping mid-sentence, trying to figure out if I’d heard her correctly. Did she just call me bruh? I stood there in disbelief, wondering if this was a joke, or the beginning of the end of respectful conversation as I knew it.

Now we’re at least 50 times in.

Despite telling her not to say it — calmly, clearly, and sometimes through clenched teeth — the word keeps showing up. It doesn’t make me freeze anymore. It makes me want to explode. Not because it’s the worst thing she could say, but because it feels dismissive in a way that’s hard to put into words. Like I’ve been quietly demoted from “mom” to background noise.

If your tween has started calling you “bruh” or “bro,” you’ve probably wondered the same things I did: Is this disrespect? Should I shut it down? Or is this just another confusing tween phase no one warned us about?


Photo by Diana Polekhina on Unsplash

Why Tweens Start Calling Their Parents “Bruh”

As irritating as it feels, calling a parent “bruh” is usually less about disrespect and more about what tweens are working out at this stage of development.


They’re borrowing peer language, not redefining your role

Tween slang spreads fast. Words like “bruh” and “bro” are everywhere — at school, online, and in group chats. They’re casual, emotionally flat words that don’t carry the weight of “mom” or “dad.”

When tweens bring that language home, it’s often automatic. They’re experimenting with sounding older and less childlike, and parents are usually the first safe place that experimentation shows up.


It creates distance without open defiance

Tweens want independence, but they don’t want separation. Using a word like “bruh” flattens the emotional tone just enough to feel less vulnerable.

“Mom” carries closeness and dependence. “Bruh” strips some of that intensity away. It’s a low-risk way to create space without starting an argument or pushing you away outright.

That doesn’t make it pleasant — but it does make it understandable.


They’re testing boundaries and reactions

This age is full of quiet tests: What happens if I talk to my parent the way I talk to my friends? Will they react? Will this change the power dynamic?

Often, the word sticks because it gets a reaction. The first time you freeze, bristle, or snap, your tween notices. Even negative reactions can make the behavior more interesting or more likely to repeat.

This isn’t manipulation. It’s experimentation.


Tone matters more than the word itself

There’s a big difference between:

  • “Bruh, I forgot my lunch,” and

  • “Bruh. Whatever.”

In many families, the real issue isn’t the word — it’s the dismissive tone underneath it. That’s why simply banning the word often doesn’t work. The word becomes the battleground, even though it’s not the whole problem.


Photo by Houcine Ncib on Unsplash

Should You Ignore It or Address It?

There’s no single right answer, but these guidelines help.

When it’s usually okay to let it go

  • It’s said casually, without attitude

  • It’s not used during conflict

  • Your tween responds when reminded

In these cases, correcting it every time can give the word more power than it deserves.


When it’s worth setting a boundary

  • It’s paired with sarcasm or eye-rolling

  • It shows up during arguments

  • It continues after you’ve clearly said it bothers you

At that point, it’s reasonable to address it — not because “bruh” is inherently wrong, but because you’re allowed to ask for respectful communication in your own home.


What to Say Instead of Snapping

How you respond matters more than how often you respond.

Short, calm responses tend to work best:

  • “I’m not okay being called that. You can say what you need, just not that.”

  • “I want to hear you — try again without the ‘bruh.’”

  • “That feels dismissive to me. Let’s reset.”

What usually escalates things:

  • sarcasm

  • public correction

  • turning it into a character issue instead of a boundary


    Photo by Emily Camp on Unsplash

The Bigger Picture

Most tweens who call their parents “bruh” aren’t pushing them away. They’re practicing independence while still staying close — even when it doesn’t feel that way to us.

You don’t have to love it. You don’t have to ignore it. But it helps to recognize this phase for what it is: development, not disrespect.

And like most tween phases, it usually passes — often right around the time they find a new word that makes us question everything all over again.


Frequently Asked Questions About Tweens Saying “Bruh”

Is it disrespectful when my tween calls me “bruh”?
Not necessarily. For many tweens, it’s filler language borrowed from friends. Tone and context matter more than the word itself.

Should I correct my tween every time they say it?
Usually no. Correcting it constantly can turn it into a power struggle and make it stick longer.

Why does my child say “bruh” to me but not to other adults?
Tweens test new behaviors where they feel safest. Parents often see these shifts first.

Is this just a phase?
In most cases, yes. Slang changes quickly, and once reactions fade, the word often does too.

What if I’ve already told my tween not to call me that?
If it continues, focus on how it feels to you rather than labeling it as rude. Clear boundaries are reasonable.

Does this mean my tween is losing respect for me?
Usually not. It’s more often a sign of growing independence than declining respect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soccer Season with Tweens: Survival Guide, Carpool Hacks & What You Actually Need

Easter Basket Ideas for Tween Girls (That Aren’t Babyish)

Washington DC With Tweens: Why It’s Even Better Now