Paris With Tweens: The Hits, The Eye Rolls, and The Magic


Photo by Ignacio Giri on Unsplash


Considering a trip to Paris with tweens? Here’s what actually worked for us — the hits, the eye-rolls, and the small strategies that made sightseeing fun instead of a battle. Plus, I’m sharing a printable Paris Travel Bingo game that kept everyone engaged along the way.

Planning a trip to Paris with tweens can feel intimidating.

Is it too much walking? Too many museums? Too “grown up”?


I’ve been to Paris before. I’ve climbed the Eiffel Tower. I’ve wandered through the Louvre. I’ve checked the boxes.


But this time, was different. I was bringing two tween girls, and as everyone knows, they are a tough audience.


I quickly realized that visiting Paris with tweens isn’t about doing everything.


It’s about choosing the right things.


Here’s what worked beautifully for us — and what we intentionally skipped.


Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and links to products I sell. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.


The Best Things to Do in Paris With Tweens (That Actually Worked)

Skip Going Up the Eiffel Tower — Have an Evening Picnic Instead

Controversial opinion: I think going up the Eiffel Tower is overrated.


Tickets sell out quickly, it’s expensive, and once you’re up there, everything feels tiny and out of perspective. Perhaps more importantly, you can’t even see the Eiffel Tower when you’re standing on it.


Instead, we packed a picnic and watched it sparkle at night. This is not I think I might necessarily have recommended with younger kids, but one of the advantages of having twins is that they can’t stay up a little later on occasion.


It was relaxed. Magical. Zero complaining.


If you’re visiting Paris with tweens, I highly recommend experiencing it this way.



Photo by Michael Maga-ao on Unsplash


Take a Sunset River Cruise on the Seine

After a full day of walking, this was the perfect reset.


I expected something touristy and cramped. Instead, it felt elegant and calm. Even the most basic ticket felt special — we were handed a kir royale as we boarded, and the meal was surprisingly good.


Most importantly? We sat down.


For tired tween feet, that matters.


We went with Bateaux Parisiens, and would highly recommend.


Wander Montmartre

Montmartre is pure atmosphere.


Artists. Music. Winding streets. Incredible views. Yes it is touristy. But that is for a reason. And there is nowhere quite like it.


The girls loved browsing art stalls and listening to musicians in the square. We relaxed in a lovely café and watched the world go by. And we stopped by Pierre Hermé for some macarons, in a delightful location set back from the street away from the hustle and bustle.


Visiting Sacré-Cœur was one of those unexpectedly peaceful moments that makes travel feel meaningful.



Photo by Timelab on Unsplash

Climb the Arc de Triomphe (Hidden Gem)

If you take one practical tip from this post, let it be this: Climb the Arc de Triomphe instead of the Eiffel Tower.


Short lines. No pre-booking. Less expensive.


And the views are stunning — including a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower itself. It felt exciting without being overwhelming.


Eat a Different Crêpe Every Day

We made a rule: one new crêpe stop every day.


Nutella. Beurre sucre. Food trucks. Cafés.


One of our favorites was a truck near the Jardin des Tuileries.


These daily snack breaks became little rituals that kept everyone happy.



Photo by Rosalind Chang on Unsplash

Have Hot Chocolate at Angelina

Angelina


Yes, it’s famous.

Yes, it’s indulgent.

Yes, it’s worth it.


The hot chocolate is thick and rich — almost like melted chocolate in a cup. Even my fast-moving tweens slowed down and savored it.


Skip Hotel Breakfast — Do Daily Patisserie Runs

Instead of the predictable hotel buffet, we found a different patisserie each morning.


We grabbed pastries and ate them walking along the river or through our neighborhood.

It made mornings feel like part of the adventure.


Spend Time in Luxembourg Gardens

Do not skip this with tweens.


We rented sailboats to push around the pond — simple, old-fashioned fun that completely captivated them.


In the middle of Paris, they just got to be kids.


Visit Galeries Lafayette

The glass dome alone is worth seeing.


We took a café break looking up at it, then headed to the rooftop terrace for free views of the Opera and the Eiffel Tower.


It was culture, architecture, and a little shopping all in one stop.



Photo by Sung Jin Cho on Unsplash


To Make it Extra Fun

Because traveling with tweens works best when they feel involved, I created a Paris Travel Bingo printable — something fun they can check off as they explore. 


If you are traveling to Paris, with kids aged 8-14, then your crew might enjoy this too. 


What We Skipped (And Why)

We took in the glass pyramids in their resplendent setting . BUT, we skipped the Louvre Museum itself.


It’s enormous. Overwhelming. Miles of galleries.


Yes, they’d probably enjoy seeing the Mona Lisa.


But would they enjoy hours of walking through museum corridors?

Probably not.


Traveling with tweens sometimes means choosing energy management over bucket lists.



Photo by Hongbin on Unsplash

What I’d Do Next Time in Paris With Older Kids

As my girls get older, I’d absolutely add more immersive experiences.

Next time, I’d book:

  • A macaron-making class
  • A make-your-own perfume workshop
  • A pastry-making class (croissants or éclairs would be amazing)

Hands-on experiences are where tweens really shine.


And when it comes to museums, I still wouldn’t start with the Louvre. Instead, I’d choose the Musée d'Orsay. It’s housed in a former train station and feels more manageable and visually engaging — a better introduction to art for teens.


Travel evolves as kids grow. That’s part of the beauty of it.


What We Packed for Paris With Tweens

If you’re planning your own trip, here’s what worked well for us:


The Magic of Paris With Tweens

Tweens are in-between.


Old enough to appreciate architecture. Young enough to race sailboats in a fountain.


Paris met them right there.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soccer Season with Tweens: Survival Guide, Carpool Hacks & What You Actually Need

Easter Basket Ideas for Tween Girls (That Aren’t Babyish)

Washington DC With Tweens: Why It’s Even Better Now